Return to Start of PhotoTour The Store Tour Information
The Gowanus flushing tunnel was installed in 1911 in an attempt to clean the waterway after its abuse in the late 1800's. The Brooklyn Eagle called the waterway an open cesspool in 1893. The flushing tunnel was closed in the 1960s after the propeller was damaged by workmen.
Now the tunnel is ready to be opened and the pump house at canal's end will bring fresh water into the canal for the first time since the 1960s.
©1999 by Mark D. Phillips
View a 360 panorama of the pumphouse (requires Quicktime)
Previous Continue
1999 South Brooklyn Internet Inc. NO REPRODUCTION WITHOUT PERMISSION